Thursday, July 17, 2008

What Did You Just Call Me??

Hun. Dear. Babe, even! These words are from men I'm not romantically involved with. And only one, my "Dear" Dan, is a friendship with clear definitions and limits. But for those fuzzier friendships with the opposite sex, what does it mean when these tender endearments begin to crop up?

I live in the south, so I expect to get called "Hun" when I get my hair cut, go to a restaurant, see an accountant. Usually it's by middle-aged mothery women. Sometimes by older gentlemen. Occasionally by a younger guy, which will make me raise an eyebrow, but I'm pretty sure it's usually meant as a friendly, rather than creepy, gesture.

But when these words come, out of the blue, from the mouths of male friends - especially non-southern male friends where it's not clear if "we're just friends and that's all we'll ever be," does it signify anything, and if so, what?

Wishing for more, with no intention of acting on it?
Testing waters to see how I respond?
Affectionate friendship, and nothing more?

I suppose it doesn't really matter -- what I want out of the friendship/relationship is much more important than the suspected meaning behind these possibly meaningless utterances. But in the meantime, I can't help it that those sweet little words make my heart flutter a bit.