Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Brownies in the House

Ever since I was little, in the Brownies (the version of Girl Scouts for younger kids), and heard about elven brownies, I was fascinated by the idea. Little creatures that would sneak into your house and do things for you - cook, clean, chores, whatever. What a lovely thought! Once, when I was about 10, I even woke up in the middle of the night and cleaned my parents' kitchen... then in the morning I told them brownies did it... I'm sure they got a good laugh out of that.

Having things seem to be done for you is still a nice treat. Like setting my coffee maker at night so that I wake up to freshly brewed coffee in the morning - as though someone had made it for me! Same goes for anything prepared ahead of time - it makes life seem so much simpler. It's fanciful, and more than a bit silly, but thinking of these sorts of "done for you" tasks as being done by brownies does make life just a little more fun.